Backing up your BlackBerry is one of the most important, if not the most important thing you can remember to do. BlackBerrys like any other electronic device can malfunction or become unusable causing you to lose all of your information. This can of course cause a lot of headaches especially if you had hundreds of contacts or thousands of calendar appointments.
In order to create a backup of your BlackBerry you will need to have the BlackBerry Desktop Software which you can get from the link below:
If you do not currently have this software, once you have downloaded the BlackBerry Desktop software you will need to install it. If you need help with this part you can refer to our tutorial on “Installing the BlackBerry Desktop Software”. For those of you who already have it downloaded and installed you can skip everything up to this point and continue on from here.
1. Connect your BlackBerry to the Computer via USB cable
2. Open the BlackBerry Desktop Software by double clicking on the icon. If this is your first time connecting the device then you will get a prompt asking you what to do just click the cancel button. If you have used this software before it will just display the front screen.
3. Once open the BlackBerry Desktop software will try to connect to your device software. When this happens you will see Sync All in the lower right corner and you will see a picture of your device with some options.
4. Select the “Back Up Now” button on the main screen, you will get a prompt asking you if you would like to do a full backup or select the information to backup. For the purposes of this tutorial we will do a full backup.
5. On the screen as shown above you will also have the option to select the name of the backup as well as the location of where you want to save the backup. If you want you can change either of these options, once done or if you do not want to change these options simply press on the button below that says “Back Up” and you will get the screen below.
Once the BlackBerry desktop software is finished backing up with will give you a window that will tell you it was successful. You will have just successfully backed up the entire contents of your BlackBerry so that should you lose the information in the future you will have a way to restore your old data back to the BlackBerry.